Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Barcelona Wrapup

Finally I am writing this. I must say that I really loved Barcelona, my favorite city so far on the trip. The people were all very nice, even those who spoke little or no English, and we experienced and witnessed no safety problems of any sort, not even on La Rambla or the metro, which we used several times a day.

The architecture is beautiful and unique - especially Gaudi's works, but just other random buildings too. The Magic Fountains were unbelievable and hard to describe. Tapas was great as it was a way to try multiple things and have cheap meals, and the set-price menu lunches were cheap, tasty, and filling.

Another highlight for me personally was walking along the beach boardwalk and seeing the Mediterranean. It was so blue and crystal clear, it was like you could see for miles.

The different areas of Barcelona kind of remind me of a place like Boston, not that they are similar at all, but that both cities have very distinct neighborhoods with their own personalities. The Eixample has the wide and grand boulevards all laid out like a grid where you can walk and shop and eat for hours on end. The Barri Gotic had a mystical gothic feel with the older buildings and dark stone and brick colors. The La Ribera district had a lot of personality and was hopping with adorable little cafes and shops and squares and attractions to get lost in all day. There was so much to do and see that we didn't even take any day trips. Sure, we could have ,but I don't feel like we really missed out on anything by not doing so - there is just too much to do and see in Barcelona itself.

I guess I don't have all that much more to say except that people should not be put off by safety fears and should just go because it is a great city with a lot to offer.

No comments: