Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Europe" in LA? 2 weeks! ...and other random musings

2 weeks from today I will touch down in London...WOOHOO!!

I needed some stuff at Target so while I was there, I stocked up on the rest of the things I can think of that I might need for the trip - from special blister products to travel tissue packs and bug spray and a little spray stain removal thingy... all those little things that are way more expensive and tougher to find over there that I will probably need at some point or another in the span of 6 weeks. I feel like I have pretty much everything I need. But looking at the pile of crap in my room that I have thrown together to pack right after my exam, I'm starting to have serious doubts about my ability to fit everything into my little carry-on and still have a little room left. But I have to. I'm not taking anything bigger than that little case. I know I will be thankful later on when I don't have any trouble on the trains and subways. So I will do it, somehow!

Reserved my final trains in Italy - saved 20% on top of it, which is always fantastic! I probably could've waited til my arrival in Venice, but why not have one less thing to worry about - it's done, I have my seats (hopefully window) and got a discount on top of it.

Now all I need is for the damn bar exam to be over!

Recently found out about a couple of events in Florence and Rome while i'll be there - religious or city festivals (I figure i'll take the time to read about them when I have more time... while i'm en route or some evening when i'm overseas). It was such a nice surprise to find out about things like that! So, cool! even more things to look forward to!

I realize this is a blog for my trip but my trip hasn't started yet and as this is tangentially related, I will post it. Because it's my blog and I can!

Today I needed a change of scenery in my studying so I went over to this street called Larchmont. It is like a little street with all kinds of cafes, shops, drug stores, a couple of salons, some financial things, you name it, it's on this little street - the area is called Larchmont Village. It's probably my favorite street in LA, but I don't go there much - I just forget - and it gets so busy. So as I am sitting there in Peet's Coffee (I had to try it for my building manager Sally - hi Sally!) with my iced latte (yes you were right, it was very tasty!) and study materials, I can't help but let my mind wander that if there is a place in LA that's "European," it must be this street.

No (or at least very few) tourists, families are just out enjoying the beautiful Sunday morning. The woman at the table next to me was breastfeeding, I'm pretty sure. Lots of families and animals, lots of kids, and even a little - but amazing - farmers market on Sunday mornings in one of the parking lots, selling everything from amazing organic fruits and veggies to baked goods, flowers, and everything in between - most of whom offered delicious samples. I couldn't help but think to myself, if Europe met LA, this is what would result. Lots of different languages were even being spoken, the line in Peet's was long and a bit chaotic, the tables were full, and unlike Starbucks, they were even playing classical music in the background. Of course, I know there are no lattes in Europe, but still - it fit my mental picture of what Europe is going to be like. I guess we'll see how right I turn out to be and just how different each place in Europe is, too.

So anyway, I loved it. It was awesome. If only I didn't have to study or I would have sat and people-watched for hours. This experience today reaffirms my belief that I will enjoy sitting in cafes people-watching just as much as holing up in a museum looking at paintings on the wall all day. Just taking the time to slow down and sit outside and not care if it costs more to drink the coffee sitting down outside but just doing it and sitting there for 2 hours and experiencing it is one of my main goals for this trip (which I think I will try to think about and write up after my exam but before I leave). I can't stand these people on these travel message boards who are what I have to call "List Tourists" - they read the guidebooks and just want to do everything on the lists - stay at the hotels on the list and pay way too much for it, eat at the restaurants on the list and pay too much for it, see all the museums not because they care but because they think they should, etc. Pretty lame if you ask me.

As an aside - forecasts seem to be showing that it is in the 90s in Vienna, and nearly 100 in Florence. Dear god, I hope it cools down by the time I get there. and who'd imagine this, but it's been raining in England!

11 comments:

amanda said...

I'm so used to the big bag that the mere thought of taking a small one just sounds absurd to me. Don't come crying to me when you have no room for souvenirs. |:

MAN. (it's tradition.)

Unknown said...

I LOVE target.

you're going to fit all your clothes in a little carry-on?

it's your blog, and you can!

that sounds like a pretty nice place |:

Debra said...

You're gonna be screwed on the trains and subways MAN and i'm not gonna help you |X d:

Debra said...

I LOVE target too.

And yes, I am. Everything I've read says it's an absolute must, especially in Italy. I'm using compression bags, and only gonna take about a week's worth of clothes. Plus an outfit in my carry-on just in case. I have some of the All concentrated detergent and also some Tide pouches, to wash out in the sink.


It is a nice place, it's very "Un-LA" - if you come visit i'll take you there :p

Unknown said...

holy crap I admire you, I would never NEVER be able to do that |X when I went to oklahoma for a week 2 years ago, I took a rather large suitcase |X

I like un-LA stuff |:

Debra said...

well i hadn't thought about it at all, just assumed i would take a big one, until i started all the research. Then it became quite clear i needed to take a small one. a lot of the subways there have no escalators and elevators like here, plus to get on and off the trains it is tricky with a big bag plus a lot of the trains apparently have like no space for big bags so I don't really want to risk putting a big bag somewhere and having it stolen - which happens a lot in Italy I guess. Not worth the risk, i will just wear the same few things and wash a lot.

I'd rather be inconvenienced packing than screwed in Italy or Amsterdam or something!

Anonymous said...

Have fun on your trip. I will be in London next week and unfortunately, as always, it's rain, rain and more rain in the forecast.

Unknown said...

As smart as you are in bringing a small bag (we brought 2 suitcases and a small bag on a train that only stopped for 1 minute in India...not lovely), it just sounds too small! lol

Debra said...

Where there's a will, Mani, there's a way :) If all these people before me can do it, so can I!

--- Jennifer --- said...

The bit of England near Stratford is like totally flooded. |:

"Welcome to England, it rains there."
As said by Mr Andy Roddick (USA) himself. |:
The weather has been absolutely dreadful here *sigh* but hope it improves by the time you get here, as in stops raining or something.
I agree about the list tourist thing, those people seem to go to everything, regardless of whether it interests them or not, like when I go Paris and EVERYONE AND HIS DOG IS IN TEH LOUVRE but I'bve been several times and it wasn't until about my 3rd visit I actually went in there!

Anyway further luck for the bar and see you soon!

Debra said...

oh geez great :( stop rain stop!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(